Your access rights are largely determined by the school/department/faculty that you are associated with and whether you are a member of staff, associate or student.
Undergraduate students also have some different access rights to postgraduates.
As a general rule, your card will be automatically programmed to give you access to the areas in which your school/department/faculty operates.
Additional access rights can be allocated to you at the discretion of the university card team and if authorised by your head of school or nominated representative.
However, the need for this is rare and your card should give you all the access that you need.