Full-time students whose programme of study lasts for less than four years and who have completed their research, will automatically enter the thesis-pending period. If you are eligible for thesis pending, you can opt to register during that time. Registering in thesis pending may allow you to be exempt from Council Tax. You should always check with your individual Council as to their exemptions. Some sponsors of international students may also require their students to register in thesis pending. You can only register in your thesis pending period if you are a full-time student, and for a maximum of one year.